Monday, January 5, 2009

My turn

We've been making playlists like crazy here. Jack can whip up a list in about 5 minutes, and makes up awesome names for them too, like "Milk" and "Jellyfish."

So I decided to make him a cd with some of my favorite songs on it.
1) Adagio For Strings, Samuel Barber. A lovely song. Somewhat tainted by its inclusion in Platoon, but you can't blame Samuel Barber for that.
2) Beyond Belief, Elvis Costello, Imperial Bedroom. One of best songs ever written? Such a clever man.
3) The Golden Age, Cracker, The Golden Age. This is an important message song for me.
4) Roadrunner, The Modern Lovers, The Modern Lovers. The essence of my Boston years in one song.
5) Been Caught Stealing, Jane's Addiction, Ritual De Lo Habitual. Such a happy happy song. I love it. And great guitar work by Dave Navarro.
6) Lotus, R.E.M., Up. Kind of subversive and rocking.
7) You Were The Last High, The Dandy Warhols, Welcome to the Monkey House. Overall I find the Dandys annoying but I adore this song.Whoops! This has a naughty word in it we will switch to "horse".
8) All Night Long, Peter Murphy, Wild Birds. When I hear this I think of my first weeks in San Francisco.
9) The Street Parade, The Clash, Sandinista. Just one of the great throwaway tunes on Sandinista.
10) Gloria, U2, October. One of my top 10 songs. I actually remember hearing it for the first time, in a Boston pizzaria.
11) Classic Girl, Jane's Addiction, Ritual De Lo Habitual. Pretty and sweet.
12) Blackbird, the Beatles, the White Album. Another pretty sweet song.
13) Wolves Lower, REM, Chronic Town. Favorite REM song.
14)
Walking on the Moon, The Police, Regatta de Blanc. A song from adolescence.
15) California Stars, Billy Bragg and Wilco, Mermaid Avenue. Reminds me of camping and Walt Whitman.
16)
The Great Gig in the Sky, Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon. Intrinsically mixed with memories of driving in Death Valley.
17) Dream brother, Jeff Buckley, Grace. Lovely album and this song gives me chills.
18) Black, Pearl Jam, Ten. Saddest song ever? Can't even talk about it without crying.
19) Helpless, Neil Young, Decade. A good song for parents.
20) Just Like Honey, (band shall be referred to as J&MC so as not to offend anyone), Psychocandy. So chunky.
21) Pyramid Song, Radiohead, Amnesiac. I don't know the lyrics and I don't want to know them. I don't know what this song is about but I find it so sad. Like all Radiohead songs, it contains some of the best drumming in modern rock.
22) Julia, The Beatles, The White Album. I think I remember John Lennon wrote this for his mom? It's my favorite Lennon song.
23) Pink Moon, Nick Drake, Pink Moon. Perfect.
24) Baby Blue, The 13th Floor Elevators, Going Up - The Very Best Of. The best cover of this wonderful song.

I had to leave out some songs. There's just no way Tattooed Love Boys is appropriate for a 3-year-old. I hope he likes this cd. I know I will.

No comments: